How to Improve your Social Media Engagement
Engagement is crucial if you want to stand out on social media.
After all, the more engagement your content gets, the more it will be boosted by the platforms’ algorithms.
But increasing your engagement can be tricky after so many algorithm updates and new features.
Each platform has its secrets. Time to find them out! 🤫
Why is engagement so critical on social media?
The key to becoming a successful social media user is engagement.
The more consumers engage in your platforms, the more the algorithm will understand that your brand is relevant and, consequently, show your content to more people.
Good engagement can lead your posts to Instagram’s “Explore” page, TikTok’s “For You” page, or Pinterest’s “Main feed,” where your content is shown to non-followers.
To “convince” the algorithms that your content is relevant and should be shown to more users, your posts need to receive comments, shares, likes, saves, and more.
In this article, you’ll find general tips that can help you boost your engagement on social media, plus specific advice to rock TikTok, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Buckle up, and let’s go 🚀
General engagement tips (valid for all platforms!)
1. Respond to comments, especially questions.
Nobody likes to feel ignored, and this includes social media.
Acknowledging your commenters and participating in conversations will make your followers eager to interact with you again.
And when you respond to their questions, you have one more chance to convince them that your brand/product suits their needs. It’s a win-win situation!
2. Find out the best time to post
The time your public is online will define when you should share your content, which applies to any social media you are at.
Are your Instagram followers early birds? Time to share a “good morning” Story!
To figure out your prime times, check your analytics. However, this only works after testing different posting times.
3. Find your demographics out!
Pay attention to your followers’ location, gender, and age on all platforms.
Your audiences can be pretty different from each other, and you need to make sure that your content strategy reflects that.
Specific tips: time to rock TikTok, Instagram, and Pinterest 🎸
- Be open to answering questions: Video responses make TikTok’s comment section stand out from other social platforms, allowing creators to directly reply to a comment with a video. The video response is embedded in the comment section for all users to see, encouraging even more engagement.
- Use captions in your favour: Having unexpected and funny captions or using them to ask questions is a simple trick that can lead you to more engagement. On the platform, users love to be part of “inside jokes,” and many are willing to comment on your caption.
- Let it loop: On TikTok, if a video loops multiple times, those all count as new views. You can use that in your favour by using text paired with shorter sounds; this will make your video loop before the user finishes reading the text.
- Make friends with keywords: With nearly 40% of Gen Z using Social Media Platforms over Google Search, the entertainment giant TikTok updated its algorithm to work as a search engine. Instead of waiting for trends to happen and centring your content around them, try searching for relevant keywords using TikTok Search and using trends as secondary content.
- Be on Stories (polls, quizzes, etc.!): Use all Instagram Stories features regularly and be willing to post stories every day or at least three times a week. Don’t forget to end your Stories with a Call to Action (e.g., Visit the website)!
- Don’t miss out on Reels: InstagramReels are simply the best way to boost your results on the platform until the moment. Be ready to share original and authentic content created for Reels using the Instagram music library and audio tools. Stay relevant with trending topics and formats and have a WOW or LOL factor in your videos.
- Be consistent: Consistency is still crucial on Instagram. The social media’s algorithm will often “punish” accounts that won’t keep up with a posting schedule by diminishing Reach and, consequently, engagement opportunities.
- Engage with other Pins: One of Pinterest’s ranking factors is “Pinner Quality,” which refers to the effectiveness of your pins, analyzing how often you pin content, how much interaction your pins usually get, and how much you engage with your audience.
- Create high-quality, helpful content: The quality of the Pin is a ranking factor based on a Pin’s engagement levels and popularity. The more people engage with your Pin (like, comment, save), the higher it will rank for quality. Focus on creating high-quality content, even if you won’t post as often. Unlike organic posts on other platforms, a Pin can continue to drive engagement and traffic for months and, in many cases, years.
- Find keywords relevant to your brand: Pinterest analyzes the keywords and hashtags on your pins to understand their relevance. Stay on top of your game by researching the best keywords using the platform’s Search bar!
We hope these tips can help you increase the engagement of your social media pages!
And if you want to take the next step and boost your results like never before, the Weggo team is ready to help you.
Get in touch with one of our experts on a free strategy call 😉